Frequently Asked Questions

Review some of our insurance freqently asked questions for a quick and easy answer!

Q: What do I do if my insurance card is lost or damaged?

Contact D & S or the Member Services Department of your insurance carrier to request a new ID card and they will send you a replacement. Verify your current mailing address.

Q: How and when can I add/delete family members?

Usually during open enrollment periods for medical and dental plans. However, special enrollment periods are allowed if your family status changes. The change may be due to your marriage, the birth, or adoption of a child, a divorce, death of a family member or if your spouse changes his or her job. Within 30 days after the event occurs, you will need to complete an application to add family members. In all cases, contact your group administrator immediately!

Q: What is a pre-existing condition?

A pre-existing condition is a medical condition for which you received care, received treatment, or received medications during the six month period immediately before you joined your health plan. Pregnancy does not count as a pre-existing condition. You can avoid issues with pre-existing conditions by never having more than a 63-day break in medical coverage from one group plan to another.

Q: What are my rights regarding insurance if I am terminated or choose to leave my job?

The Consolidate Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) of 1986 provides for the continuation of employer-sponsored group health coverage for employees that are voluntarily or involuntarily terminated. For groups with less than 20 employees, State Continuation laws apply. ARRA law changes in 2008 even help employees pay for these coverages. Contact your group administrator to see which plan your employer qualifies.

Q: 401(k) – Life Events: Changing Jobs, What are my Options?

In today’s competitive job market, the chances are strong you’ll change employers throughout your career.  With each change, you may have a decision to make regarding your employer’s retirement plan.
In most cases, you’ll have four options:

1. Transfer your retirement account into a Rollover IRA.
a. This option lets you maintain the tax-deferred status of the retirement funds, while keeping the retirement funds under your direct control.  Compare the advantages of moving retirement savings to an Individual Account (IRA) or your new employer’s retirement plan.

Compare the Advantages
Options IRA Your New Employer's Retirement Plan
Continued tax deferred growth X X
Wide variety of investment options X X
Convenience of keeping retirement funds with the same service provider. X X
You may pay lower or no administrative fees or expenses. X X
May withdraw retirement funds without penalties if you retire.   X

2. Keep the retirement funds where they are.
a. This option lets you maintain the tax-deferred status of the retirement funds, and it keeps the retirement funds in familiar investment choices. $5,000 balance normally required.

3. Rollover account to new employer’s plan.
a. This choice also keeps the retirement funds tax-deferred, but you may have to satisfy an eligibility period before you can contribute to the new plan.

4. Cash out the Retirement Plan a. While cashing out retirement savings is another option, be aware of the full cost of doing so. You may pay a big portion in taxes – including federal taxes, state taxes, and early withdrawal penalties. You may also lose the potential value of future earnings. If you decide to take a cash distribution, keep in mind that you don’t have to cash out the entire account balance. You can take a portion in cash and potentially avoid taxes and penalties by rolling the remainder into another qualified retirement plan such as an IRA or another employer’s plan.